Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Chrissy, Truth or Dare?

 Soooo, I recently watched Now and Then (1995) for the first time EVER.
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.
IT WAS SO FANTASTIC AND FUNNY AND HAD PERFECT STYLE AND FRIENDS AND SUBURBIA AND SEANCES AND ADVENTURE 'n' everything that makes a movie GOOD.
How did I spend all 14 years of my life without ever watching this movie?! WHAT ELSE IN MY LIFE HAVE I BEEN MISSING OUT ON? Dude, stuff like this just makes you WONDER.

Anyways, it basically centers around four really old friends (Melanie Griffiths, Demi Moore, Rosie O'Donnell, Rita Wilson) who are reuniting after several years of being apart and after their lives have all taken different directions.
The summer of 1970 is like, when everything CHANGED for them, so Sam (played by Demi Moore) tells us about that MAGICAL summer where they kissed boys, tested their friendship, held seances and ~found themselves~ and everything. It's all told in flashbacky retrospect, with younger actress playing the kiddy versions of their older selves.

My favorite kind of movies are movies that are made in the '90s/'80s and are all about the '50s/'60s/'70s. They're all nostalgic and pretty, and the '80s and '60s are two of my favorite decades, SO, CHELLO, IT'S LIKE A MIXING OF BOTH? Hell yes, I'm in. AND THIS MOVIE HAPPENS TO BE ONE OF THOSE. So, I think it might have been made for me?

 The younger actors (Thora Birch, Christina Ricci, Ashleigh Ashton Moore, Gaby Hoffman) are seriously talented. The '90s/'80s had a never-ending supply of really talented kid actors, most of which are now not famous/addicted to something/dead, which is so sad, BECAUSE I LOVE THEM ALL. The older actors in the movie feel a bit stiff and weird and really aren't as good, but IT'S STILL A PERFECT MOVIE.

And the style is that movie is like, the best. Seriously.

 
 AHH! The scene where they go swimming is, like, radical. It's all summery and fun and UGH THEIR CLOTHES I'M CRYING.

I will KILL someone for Chrissy's raincoat. Look at it! Clear plastic with pink detailing! WAS THERE ANYTHING EVER MADE THAT WAS MORE PERFECT?!

   



 Other perfect thing about this movie: THE ROOMS! Look at Roberta's curtains! Teeny's framed pictures of Jayne, Audrey, and Marilyn! The pink walls! The clock! Chrissy's pinkness! The general aesthetic! I'm dyyyying over here from all the ~vibes~.

When I was 10 or 11, I was Chrissy. Minus the fact I wasn't so totally naive, she is the perfect embodiment of my past, 10-year-old self.
Plus, look at her hair/clothes. This girl rocks. ILY, CHRISSY.


This scene is fantastic. Now I just wanna ride around with my girl gang and sing "Knock Three Times"! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? Also, umm this movie has one of the best soundtracks ever. Because of this scene, I am now obsessed with "Sugar Sugar" and "Knock Three Times" and big '70s hits.

 Reason #1929994894 to love Now and ThenJaneane Garofalo. If you read my blog a lot (or maybe at all), you probably know I'm OBSESSED with Vickie Miner (Janean Garofalo's character) from Reality Bites. So, yeah, I died when I saw she in this! Plus, HER CLOTHES/HAIR/MAKE-UP! PERFECT, JANEANE! Now my new life goal is to open some fortune telling shack place, name myself Wiladine, become the town weirdo, and call everyone "boys". Totally gonna be me at 20.






This is basically my whole Polyvore take on the whole deal, complete with Archies/Tony Orlando records, a vintage Cosmo and ~flower power~ patches! Yay!

So, loves, Now and Then is amazing. Incredible. DA BEST. WATCH IT, NOW if you want to have a fun time with great acting and pretty clothes and fantastic music

Psychedelic Daisy

P.S. IF YOU HAVE A POLYVORE, come and follow me and we'll be Polyvore buddies!!!

All images from Google Images, Tumblr, and Bing Images.

8 comments:

  1. very nice post! i think i will have to watch now and then too, i love christina ricci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Now and Then is fantastic, you should definitely watch it!! And Christina Ricci IS AMAAAAZING. She is amazing in every movie!! ♡ ♡ ♡

      xoxoxo
      Psychedelic Daisy

      Delete
  2. Oh I'm so glad you made this post I love Now and Then. It's such a cute movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! ♡ ♡

      I know, isn't it the best? I cannot believe I haven't seen it before! UGH I LOVE IT SO MUCH!

      thanks for commenting!♡

      xoxoxo
      Psychedelic Daisy

      Delete
    2. That's it. I have to watch this movie for sure.

      <3 Melissa
      wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. DOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT

      It's required watching for all readers of this blog ♡

      xoxoxo,
      Psychedelic Daisy

      Delete
  3. Aww, it's a great movie and it has been too long since i last watched it!
    My favorite was Christine Ricci and to be honest i was really disappointed in how they all turned out when grown-up, not cool enough...and their adult style was not half as good as the tween one!

    P.S. A fellow rookie reader here ;')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ISN'T IT JUST THE GREATESSST!?
      I love Roberta! She was like, my absolute favorite, and they make her seem like her clothes are all PLAIN and therefore UGLY, but she is honestly a huge style icon of my now! UGH ROBERTA I WANT TO BE YOU. Plus she's really good at punching people... just sayin', that can come in handy...

      Wasn't it sad?! They felt all weird and disconnected! I was like, GUYS, C'MON!
      And oh, god, I know! When Chrissy wears the bow print dress I want like OH GOD CHRISSY HOW DID IT COME TO THIS?

      OMGGGGG Rookie is everything! ROOKIE = MY HEART AND SOUL HERE!!! So glad I have so many fellow Rookies, because everyone where I live is like ROOKIE WHAT!? and I cry :'(

      Xoxoxo,
      psychedelic daisy

      Delete

♡♡♡Thanks for commenting, babe!♡♡♡